slider
slider
slider
slider

About the school

About the school

Prince Adam Jerzy Czartoryski High School is an extremely distinguished high school in Pulawy. Being also the oldest, it was established in 1916, when Puławy, former home to the Czartoryski family, was being intensively russified. Back then, in the times of annexation, the town went by the name of New Alexandria in the tsar’s honour. Later, it was taken over by Austria and subsequently appointed its own government and reintroduced its previous name.

Founding a good school was an immediate decision of the government. The intention was to shape Pulawy's intelligentsia for work in the soon independent motherland. The first principal (since September 28, 1916) was Stanisław Eustachiewicz, who quickly introduced high academic standards despite significant difficulties.

On December 1, 1918, the Public Realschule was renamed Prince Adam Jerzy Czartoryski Public Gymnasium. On June 3, a cornerstone was laid for the construction of a new building and the new residence was opened in October of 1926. Two years later, the single-sex institution was transformed into a coeducational one due to the closing of a nearby all-female school.

In the pre-war period, the school had earned a reputation for being an excellent educational establishment. It employed many eminent educators: some of them, like for example Aleksander Kosiba, made a remarkable contribution to the development of Polish science. 

During the occupation, geography teacher Włodzimierz Zinkiewicz organized clandestine education in Pulawy, which he supervised till the end of the war. Thanks to the courage and dedication of those teachers, the school did not stop its activity even in such horrible times: 462 students attended, 73 passed the small and 14 the big Matura (junior and senior high school exit exams).   

The first post-war principal was Alojzy Szubartowski (1945-1966). Due to his hard work and the determination of the faculty, the school recovered from wartime damage. It became a demanding and ambitious institution, which taught young people self-reliance and prepared them well for higher education.

Between 1966 and 1990 the school was headed by Aleksander Chromiński. In 1967, two gyms, a sports field and a dormitory were handed over for use.

Tłumaczenie: Klaudia Jędrych

Korekta: Paweł Cybula